In the world but not of it.


"If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you." John 15:19




The other day as I was driving around I began thinking of all of the things I can't control. Now, this is admittedly a long list and it was a fairly short drive, I'll spare you all the details. What I rested on however, as I slowed at the four way stop, was the idea of being misunderstood and helpless. Namely, my inability to control other people. Almost nothing frustrates me more than being misrepresented or when someone doesn't listen enough, or at all, to my point and then when they've misunderstood not being able to defend myself adequately, or at all. I've been struggling with this 'desire to be understood' a lot more lately it seems. There are two entities that contribute greatly to this strife in my life; 


1. The News Media 


2. Facebook.  


One is a completely subjective, self-centered, opinion based outlet for whining, drama and the propagation of bad information. The other is Facebook. (*grin) But, seriously... 


The news media says things that may or may not be true and that may or may not agree with my faith and/or opinions but at the end of the day the real problem there is that it's  just  not reciprocal. Oh sure, I like to think that when I yell at the commentators and throw things at the television set that I'm being heard, but it's just not true. I can't change their minds and they have a captive audience. They talk, I get frustrated, rinse, repeat.


Facebook on the other hand is completely interactive, or so it seems. I get to share my opinions with my 1100 'friends'  and also comment on their opinions etc. etc. I get to be heard. Except not at all. Now, i believe it's possible that some people have had genuine exchanges via Facebook, with those who have opposing viewpoints, that have led to conversion and true friendship. I believe that it happens. Of course, I also believe that somebody wins the lottery every week but I've never met them. It's almost worse than television in that sense. It gives us isolation under the auspices of community. Meanwhile my precious children are vying for my attention at my feet. 


So, as I was driving along thinking about the many, many situations in the world that I feel particularly frustrated about, I was getting more and more upset because I am unable to be heard, I'm unable to change hearts and when it comes down to it I just can't 'fix' things. Ultimately I asked myself how I see these issues being resolved in the future and thats when it hit me and I hit the brakes. They won't be resolved.  Not in this world anyway. I've been looking for this sense of completion and affirmation and harmony that is not promised to us in this life. *Sigh*


Now, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be doing everything possible to educate and transform this world? Of course not, It just means that we are soldiers, not saviors. The victory IS ours, but not fully here and not fully now. 


That little epiphany moment has brought about a couple resolutions in my own life. 


1. Stop stressing out about the things that stress wont fix. I need to 'deal' with injustice by prayer and action and leave the fixin' to Jesus. The peace that I'm seeking is in Christ and waiting for me in full in the next life. My job here is simply to get myself and as many people as I can carry to that place and to make the kingdom known here. 


2. Turn the tv off, shut the computer down and go play hide and seek every now and then. I can get informed and then walk away and I can use facebook for what it should be used for- a social media outlet not a REAL community. 


A place for everything and everything in its place they say. 



Hopefully this blog will be a 'place' for my thoughts and opinions that wont require response or resolution (or a whole heck of a lot of my time). Now.....*tag* YOU'RE IT!



Comments

Popular Posts